Popular Posts

Tuesday 14 August 2012

Concrete Shoes



My thoughts stray back to the spiritual shoe shop. The other day I mentioned that in prayerfully donning the spiritual armour, I had the thought that the shoes of the readiness to share the good news that the kingdom of God is near (Ephesians 6) should be dancing shoes. The good news is so good that we should be dancing with joy, whether or not we are talking about the Kingdom.

Then the other night I had one of those nights. I awoke about 2 am and for some reason my brain kicked in and I began listing all the responsibilities I have within the church context, many of which are about to resume as schools go back. My eyes were wide open and I flipped and flopped in the bed as anxiety rose within me. 

And I thought, my dancing shoes are morphing into concrete shoes as I sink beneath the waves of items on my to-do list. The joy is draining away. 

That’s not right. I’m reminded of Mary and Martha. Mary, Jesus told Martha, made the best choice when she abandoned the household chores in order to sit at his feet and soak in what he was saying and who he was. 

When people criticise Christians for being without humour, perhaps we have changed our dancing shoes for concrete ones. Exchanged our joy for worldly anxiety.

Jesus invites us to come to him and do it his way. That takes self-discipline. It’s much more natural for me to rush around, driven by the tasks on my list, than to slip into the lay-by and rest in God.

But right now I’m headed for the lay-by. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment