Popular Posts

Tuesday 23 April 2013

Sunshine and Blue Skies



We awoke to the sun streaming in the Velux window – although our clock radio kicks on at 6 am, the sun starts streaming in at this time of year earlier than that. The birds were tweeting their little hearts out and it felt like spring.

Well. Looked like spring. There remains a cold edge to the wind and the temps hover in single digits still. 

However, as I walked Dusty I noticed up ahead, the sky was a maelstrom of grey, stormy clouds, mixing and twisting in the wind. But behind me was a clear blue sky, and as I watched, the wind which I so dislike began sweeping the clouds onwards and away, making way for the blue sky to follow.

Scripture likens the Holy Spirit to the Wind. I must remember that when I grumble about the wind...

An initiative in which we are involved had a meeting yesterday, and for the second time there was an angry exchange of aggressive words over disputable points. Something has to be done to pour oil on these turbulent waters before this initiative can be successfully birthed, not least because most of us involved call ourselves Christians.

Jesus talks again and again about the unity of the Holy Spirit, of believers living in harmony and being of one mind. Paul, too, addresses disharmony in the cities to which he addresses his letters. Strong opinions, strongly expressed, raise hackles sometimes. As my mother taught me, it isn’t always what you say, but the way that you say it. We’re all entitled to our opinions, but we also have a duty to respect those of others. 

So back to the churning cloudy sky scudding away before the blue. I felt so encouraged by that this morning, as I considered this group of people. It caused me to renew my prayers for unity and harmony, and of being of one mind as we seek to do something for our community. 

People are watching to see if Christians do things differently. By God’s grace, and with his help, we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment