Popular Posts

Monday 23 December 2013

Awkward



‘Tis the day before the night before Christmas, and I’ve made my list and been checking things off it as I go. Last Christmas card delivered to the farmer who lives about a mile and a half away – gave Dusty and I a long walk, slightly moist, but nothing like it is out there now – torrential.

Before that I zipped to Tesco to try to beat the rush. It was busy but not awful.

And got the potica set and rising in the warmish oven. A special sweet bread we always have on Christmas morning. It’s always a bit haphazard for me to make – only making it once a year, and with all these different types of yeast around now, and it being an American measurements recipe which I need to translate...however, today it is looking pretty ‘risen’ though I barely averted disaster. Nearly forgot to put the half pound of ground walnuts into the filling ...

Well, so finishing off that potica is fairly labor-intensive. A lot of scalding, grinding, rolling, etc, and as  I worked, little Indy the quirky cat seemed to be always at my feet. I thought she was hungry. But that didn’t satisfy.

Now as the potica bakes I have rushed upstairs to check emails and write this, and what do you know, here is wee Indy, no longer at my feet but now curled into a ball on my lap. 

That’s all she wanted. Me to slow down so she could curl up on a warm lap.

I believe God must feel like that with most of us. Certainly with me. Not that he’s round our feet but he is certainly nearby, waiting, hoping we might slow down and stop long enough that we can just sit together and bond, as they say.

I’m sorry, God. Just as soon as I finish this, upload it, and get the potica back out of the oven...

No comments:

Post a Comment