Popular Posts

Monday 9 December 2013

Be still



The Minutiae

I think someone has put me on a High Speed Rail Link. Except there doesn’t seem to be a start and a finish; rather it is a loop of intricate curves and patterns but which essentially just keeps going round and round.

I’m frustrated because I had hoped to introduce a more sedate speed to Advent. Maybe that sounds like a joke, since Advent is the lead-up to Christmas, but I don’t plan to run around all the shops being driven crazy by those dreadful modern Christmas songs. I thought that I would be able to slow down and focus on an advent meditation to really prepare my heart for the coming of Jesus into the world, which we mark at Christmas.

But instead I’ve been on a whirlwind tour of hospitality, of cooking and cleaning and volunteering for various things, interspersed by the Dog Walks.

Perhaps in the end, it will be Dusty’s dailies which keep me sane.

So fractured has my time been, though, that even on these daily walks I’ve struggled to focus, to find a peaceful cohesion to my thoughts, to really slip into the presence of God. 

Be still and know that I am God.

A wise man (or woman?) wrote that thousands of years ago. Sometimes I fear that if I am still, I am unproductive, and therefore the world may collapse round my ears. 

It can seem almost sinful to be still. 

But it doesn’t say just Be Still. To just Be Still might imply I have gone to sleep. No, it says Be Still and know that I am God. 

Be still and know. If I’m too busy, I don’t have time to know. To know that God is God. And to know him.

I must find a way to be still tomorrow, and know that God is God.

No comments:

Post a Comment