Popular Posts

Tuesday 8 April 2014

Can it be too hot? Really?

I guess the thing is, that when you live in the land of pretty much one season year round, and that season has temps that only vary from say about 25F to 65F, and you grew up in the paradise weather of Southern California, you begin to think that it can never be too hot.

Yes, today may be about 90F, and my face after some mild exertion of a walk resembles the clichéd comparison with a beet or a tomato, but I am loving it. I know that next week I will plunge back into the freshness of spring at barehillock, which will be beautiful and full of blossom and daffodils and tulips and primroses and the fresh scent of clean air ... Oh, hang on, that is sounding pretty fantastic as the fumes of the freeway drift across the back yard here, so I will not finish that sentence with a 'but'.

Two different places. Every place has its great things, and its not so great things. The thing is to enjoy what you have when you have it and not be envious or longing for something else.

The man in front of me at the store this morning was grumbling about the heat. It made me think of the Israelites who, having been saved miraculously from slavery, taken through the Red Sea and fed on quails and manna, then kept complaining about how tired they were of eating quails.

It seems a poor thing of human nature to complain and grumble. We do it about the weather. We do it about our work, our friends, our enemies, our families, our bodies, and so on ad nauseum.

God hated to hear his people moaning. He is such a God of love, who has blessed us all with the gift of life. Everything is a bonus. We don't deserve anything.

Pretty poor show if we can't be grateful. Say thank you. And quit grumbling.

So, I maybe should print this out and pin it on my sleeve, because basically, I'm talking to myself.

God bless you, whatever your circumstances today.

No comments:

Post a Comment