Popular Posts

Saturday 24 October 2015

Be Still and Know



Be still and know that I am God.

What a glorious command. It makes me breathe deep and relax.

Yesterday again I was walking along a river, where the day before I had been drawn to consider the waters rushing and tumbling over the rocks, their droplets catching the sun’s rays and twinkling like diamonds. It had caused me to reflect that there is beauty in brokenness.

Yesterday instead I was drawn to the reflections of the trees, arrayed in their autumnal finery, clearly visible in the still waters. Those reflections could not be seen once the waters got flowing fast, but where they pooled and paused on their way to the sea, the oranges and reds of the trees were stunning.

Be still and know that I am God. It is when we are still that we can best reflect God. When we have been still with God, others can see him in us. We may not be aware of it, but others are. We are reflecting the beauty of our creator rather than the turmoil of our own lives.

I also noticed that in a quiet tributary where the kayakers were practicing their slalom maneuvers, the reflections could be seen, and that out of that quiet space, the waters gathered pace to re-enter the river and cascade over the rocks, sparkling in the sunlight like gemstones.

The quiet times in God’s presence prepare us for the frenetic times in life when all we can do is rush and tumble, but in those moments of rush and tumble, because of our earlier preparation, his glory can still be seen.

Oh I do like to walk by the river. Be still today, and know that he is God.

No comments:

Post a Comment