Popular Posts

Monday 8 January 2018

Breathe steam



A background ringing. A heaviness, as if a sock were stuffed inside my ear. I am not deaf, but I am relying on lip-reading to clarify what I think I hear. 

This is how I come to God. I want to hear his voice clearly, but there is a background ringing, an earworm reminding me of concerns, chores, people-to-call or e-mail. Distracting me from the focus I long to have. 

I want to hear his voice clearly, but there is something dulling the acuity of my hearing. Cultural baggage. Political correctness. Societal assumptions. 

I’ve been given some decongestant and told to breathe steam. I need to decongest my spiritual ears, and spend time in the steam-room of prayer and the sauna of the Bible.

I know that will do the trick. All I need is to prioritise the time...

No comments:

Post a Comment