Popular Posts

Monday 15 January 2018

Disappeared



Disappeared. I’ve been changing the web host for my website, and it has been more complicated than I can say: it’s so complicated, I keep deferring to my IT-savvy son, Doug, whose infinite patience and kindness with my ineptness is much appreciated.

For the last few days, www.micheledmorrison.com has failed to come up on the search engine, nor have I been able to access it any other way until just now, when I googled the name I gave it several years ago: ‘Tears amid the alien corn.’ I’ve not been trying to be arrogant that I know one of Keats’ poems, but the line was often a mantra to me in the early years of my transplantation from California to Scotland, when I frequently shed tears of homesickness, feeling I didn’t belong (and I was freezing...)

Today I might take a more existential view of those lines, feeling that as a Christian in today’s society, I am often lost in fields of alien corn. The landscape is no longer Christian. I shed not so many tears these days, but have a deep yearning for our ultimate home, where Jesus will be our ever present companion.

His promise in Revelation, though, is that when we hear his knock at our heart’s door, and invite him in, he comes in and shares a meal with us. And we need never feel estranged from our ultimate home, even while in this world, since Jesus is just waiting to be invited in so that he can sit down and eat with us, sharing time, sharing love, sharing life that stretches to eternity.

We never disappeared from his search engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment