Popular Posts

Thursday 4 January 2018

Stepping out



First purchase of the year: new hiking shoes. A new year signalling a new season in our lives, and plans to step out on our own two (four) pegs further afield than we have ventured thus far. 

The shop assistant advised me on style, size, and socks, and allowed me a few days trial period to check they are right for me. She suggested I wear them for a couple of hours ironing: had she seen the pile accumulating as family came and went? Today I wore them as I remade beds and hoovered, and my confidence is growing that these are indeed right for me.

I’m thinking of the Minnie Hoskins’ poem, giving advice that at the start of the year, it’s good to plant your hand in the hand of Jesus so that whichever paths you traverse, you will not come a cropper on scree or find yourself scaling a mountain beyond your ability. 

As we look at the calendar and plot our course, I’m also aware of Solomon’s statement that humans may plan their course, but the Lord directs their steps. That’s ok with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment