Popular Posts

Thursday 13 June 2019

Wind, wind


Wind, wind, blow on me…

The wind outside, whipping the rain in a parade of moist air across the field, is more autumnal than summery. I don’t like it.

I don’t like its unpredictability. I don’t like the way it blows my hair in my face and then standing on end and then hard back. I don’t like the creaking branches overhead as I walk. I don’t like its disruption.

I find it hard to say anything good about the wind.

The Holy Spirit is described as being like a wind, which blows where it wills – unpredictable. Maybe that’s why some of church has neglected the Spirit. We like to be in control.

And yet I pray today, come Holy Spirit. Because with the disruption, with the unpredictability, comes life beyond our wildest dreams. We can’t imagine how good God is. But the Spirit can reveal him.

Come, holy spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment