Popular Posts

Monday 3 February 2020

The Face of God


Green wands with a yellow end, rubber-banded together: each child clutched a bunch and offered them, excitedly, to us. One bunch for Don; one bunch for me. There was nothing remarkable about them.

‘For you, Gramma!’ came the joyful shout. ‘For you, Groucho!’

Flick helped me choose the right vase and we put these green sticks into the water. As the day passed, the daffodils responded to the warmth of the room, opening into the promise of spring.

As I sit here this morning, this spray of glorious yellow trumpets brings a smile to my face. I love this time of year. We stand on the threshold of spring, and everywhere there are signs. Birds sing a new tune. Bulbs spike the ground as they stretch towards the warming sun.

Never mind that the wind carries an icy edge to it today. The promise still stands.

Great is God’s faithfulness. Day follows night. Spring follows winter. Good times follow challenging times. And through it all, God is with us. He is there in the spring and there in the winter.

As I look at these cheerful daffodils this morning, I see the beautiful faces of precious grandchildren, excited to give us gifts. In those dear faces, I see the face of God.


No comments:

Post a Comment