Popular Posts

Tuesday 21 April 2020

Circle of Bruising


I notice a small circle of bruise on my wrist, and wonder where that came from. Being on a blood-thinner, it is probably just a broken vessel which has leaked a spot there. Nothing of concern.

As the lock-down continues into the foreseeable future, with ominous comments about it stretching forward for months or even a year, we may notice signs of brokenness in our own lives that we didn’t know were there. This morning I noticed a slight malaise, a vague dissatisfaction as I awoke after a good night’s sleep. No reason for it that I can identify.

This is where our free will comes in. I can choose to go with the malaise. I can blame it on the disruption in relationships because of the lockdown. Missing sons and daughters-in-law and grandchildren. Anxiety for Mom. I can blame it on fear of the future and catching the virus. The brief brush of the forehead to see if I have a temperature. The swallowing to check my throat isn’t sore after all. I can blame it on dissatisfaction with Zoom meetings, which are great and yet a torture at the same time, reminding me of what we have lost through this isolation. Missing hugs. Missing spontaneous laughter.

Instead, I am choosing to be reminded of Jesus’ death on the cross, and I am using the tiny circle of bruising as a touchstone with that. Every time I see it, I am going to say, Thank you, Jesus, for saving me. I choose to chase after a more thankful heart. I choose to renew my mind through Holy Spirit immersion.

I am only human…but I AM human. Filled with the Holy Spirit of God. Saved for eternity with him.
Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment