Popular Posts

Tuesday 14 April 2020

Peace


I have time to stop and stare, out the kitchen window, watching as the wee birds house-hunt. One, perhaps a blue tit (I’m hopeless at identifying birds), clings to the perch outside the red birdhouse that nestles in the holly bush. His wee head bobs this way and that as he – I assume – checks out the safety of this place. Then he pokes his head into the hole, and disappears for a moment or two.

Meanwhile, at the multi-story pink bird house, a different sort of bird is performing some sort of dance routine on one of the perches. Suddenly a second bird pops out of the hole and flits to the nearby bush. The dancing bird pops over to her but she’s not in the mood, I guess…

My peace I give to you, Jesus said. In the midst of this pandemic, those who, like me, have time to stop and stare and receive the peace of Christ, are privileged beyond belief. How can we complain of anything? It is relatively straightforward for us to receive Jesus’ peace.

My prayer this morning is for the key workers on the front lines, exhausted and emotionally spent, frightened and distanced from their loved ones. I pray that in the midst of their exhaustion they will receive the peace of Jesus, that his peace will overwhelm and comfort and encourage them.

My prayer is also for those who are isolating in small flats, those who are penned in with abusive partners or parents, those who are vulnerable physically and mentally, and for those whose financial security has been ripped away from them. May the peace of Jesus Christ overwhelm them, a peace that the world cannot understand, a peace that makes no sense in the middle of the distress and fear.

May those of us who are so privileged, use our isolation well. May we write encouraging letters, make friendly phone calls, campaign for change and justice, and pray for a vaccine and an effective treatment of Covid-19.

No comments:

Post a Comment