Popular Posts

Wednesday 22 April 2020

The Gift


Gifts. I have been so blessed in life, receiving gifts that were thoughtfully chosen, that required self-sacrifice. I have been blessed, too, in having the means to choose gifts for others.

There is such joy in giving a gift. It is so much fun when you find that gift which is just perfect for someone you love. Often that gift is found when you’re not really looking for it.

I received the gift of the Holy Spirit when I was not expecting it. The Giver knew, though, that I was really looking for it, and was in a position to receive, open, and value it. Even the faith to receive the gift, was a gift. I didn’t – don’t – deserve such a gift.

In The Message paraphrase of the Bible, a couple of verses in Romans are rendered, ‘Abraham entered into what God was doing for him, and that was the turning point. He trusted God to set him right instead of trying to be right on his own.’ ‘…it’s something only God can do’ ‘…Sheer gift.’
Sheer gift, which cost God more than I can even take in. A gift which he was prepared to give, despite the sacrifice. A gift which he was excited to give. A gift which gives him joy to give.

Part of the joy in gift-giving is seeing the surprise and joy in the person receiving it. How heart-breaking for God, to find his priceless gift, the gift of salvation, left on the floor, unopened, unvalued. Not received by so many. And yet, received by every believer, but sometimes taken for granted, forgotten about, unvalued.

I’ve still got the wee bleed spot on my wrist, a poignant reminder of the price of the gift, inspiring a thankful heart, a grateful spirit. I hope it doesn’t go away before I’ve made it a habit to thank Jesus every time I notice my wrist, marked or not.

What a gift. What a Giver.

No comments:

Post a Comment