Popular Posts

Thursday 2 April 2020

Perfect Peace


On my daily walk, I noticed telephone wires swinging alarmingly in the wild winds. I hope they don’t break, or communication through the telephone and internet will be abruptly stopped and isolation will take on a new depth.

Storms in life can put tremendous strains on communications. A pandemic is such a storm for us all. Praying for those in difficult relationships during these times of lock-down.

I turned down the lane where the pine trees moaned and swayed. I watched as the red kite flapped his wings, which looked heavy and cumbersome. He struggled to lift off in the heavy gales, rising and dropping, rising and dropping, flapping harder, flapping harder. Eventually he achieved height.
Up there, high above the earth, he cruised on the currents. He wheeled and spun, turned and rose higher. His wings only twitched occasionally; movement seemed effortless.

Sometimes I come to a time of prayer and it is just hard work. I lift off and then drop away, distracted, anxious maybe, even bored. If I persevere, lifting off, dropping, lifting again, faltering, lifting again, then eventually I find myself in the presence of peace himself. Flapping – blurting out words of petition – has gone and I am left soaring in silence, enveloped in His love.

May we all persevere until we reach that place of perfect peace, resting in Jesus’ love.

No comments:

Post a Comment