Popular Posts

Friday 8 May 2020

Teamwork


I looked up from chopping squash for the soup, to see a wee bird pop out of one of the bird houses and her partner to go in. Teamwork, getting food or hatching the eggs: I’m not sure which stage this little family has reached.

Mhairi did our grocery shopping today, and now the lock down seems even more complete. She doesn’t want us getting Covid-19, but frankly, I’d rather get it than have her – or any of the younger generation – contract it. They are carving careers and raising families while we have done that. As much as I don’t want to meet my Maker quite yet, if it were to happen, I would be ready. But I don’t want any younger lives cut short.

So, it has been a struggle. A struggle to be the shielded rather than the shield. For awhile I’ve referred to myself as older, not old. I’ve been relieved that I am not yet 70…quite. Having taken care of family and others who need a hand for so long, it is hard to restrain the urge to keep doing that.

Mhairi returned with everything on the list. As I cleaned out the fridge, washed everything that came in (well, most everything), and made the soup, I checked my impatience at doing these housekeeping tasks when really I’d planned to do some other things. As she has now gone to work upstairs, I can take care of her by preparing nice food. Teamwork.

May God give me the grace to accept changing seasons, and restricted activities, with patience and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment