Popular Posts

Monday 4 May 2020

Up the Tree


The pheasant flew up to a low branch on the huge larch tree outside the window of the living room. We were startled. Usually pheasants flap and rise up briefly before settling back on the ground and running. We’d never seen any fly up into a tree.

Awhile later, as the darkness deepened, we could see that this beautiful bird had worked his way up, higher, onto a branch safe from predators, where he could sleep in peace.

We are in testing times. Predators circle, taking pot shots at our courage, at our love, at our faith. Scripture tells us that we are helpless without Jesus. Without Jesus, we are ‘sitting pheasants’, easy pickings for sin’s attacks. Though we have been raised from death to life, we slip back into the darkness daily, in our thoughts, in our words, in our deeds. Trusting Jesus for everything is the definition of life itself.

I am like that fat pheasant. I don’t fly very well. But I can just about get myself onto the lowest branch of trust in Jesus (with a boost up from the wind of the Spirit). Then, as I recognise where I am, and that I am, indeed, safe, because of his protection, Jesus helps me inch higher up, further in, where he restores courage, renews love, revives faith.

He is light and life. We don’t understand fully, but as we lean in, he reveals more. May this testing time have an outcome that we are all more aware of our absolute dependence on Jesus our Saviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment