Popular Posts

Tuesday 12 May 2020

Dancing Lights and Dahlias


The dancing lights used to precede a migraine for me. Now, thankfully, they seem to be a phenomenon on their own, without the pounding headache to follow. I am so grateful.

I’ve noticed the dancing lights more frequently of late. Not sure why. I feel good. I wonder if it’s a general wakefulness at night, sleeping intermittently rather than a good solid stretch of time. I don’t know.

This morning, they started to fringe my vision as I looked into my Bible. Luke. The paralysed man being lowered through the roof to the healing Saviour. I find that I can continue to read despite the dancing lights, if I focus on one word at a time. Not a bad thing when reading Scripture. It can be tempting to skim through, to recognise I’ve read that bit before and assume I’ve got everything out of it already. But no, that’s not what Scripture is, is it? You never have got everything out of any of it; God always has another layer, another level, to speak to you about.

During the days of lock down it is perhaps helpful remembering this in order to retain focus on God, or on a project, or on whatever is in front of me at any given time. It is helpful not to be distracted by reading too much news, or sharing too much speculation on how we’re going to get out of this – both which can steal inner peace.

I felt encouraged this morning to pick up a project which has been dormant for years. Every winter, we dig up and put the dahlia tubers into the attic to survive the winter. A few weeks ago, I planted these dead-looking bulbous conglomerates into separate pots of compost and began watering them in the greenhouse. All but one has sprouted and they are growing well, ready to be planted out whenever it seems the danger of frost is past. Perhaps that project has been awaiting such a time as this.

May God help us all to focus today on that which gives us life and hope and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment