Popular Posts

Thursday 12 November 2020

Grandmother's Summer

 

How funny! Checking whether or not it is offensive to refer to a warm autumn spell as ‘Indian Summer’, I have discovered that in Germany, it is referred to as ‘old woman’s summer’ or ‘grandmother’s summer’!

Our autumn weather doesn’t necessarily match that criteria, but our living arrangements do. We have been able to open the doors and welcome our daughter and then one of our sons and his family, so that we have swelled from being a big empty house of two, to a big full house of seven. It is truly a ‘grandmother’s summer’ at the ‘hillock.

Despite the uncertainty on many fronts in the wider world, there is blessing to be found everywhere. One of my readings today led me to consider how God is pouring out blessing on me right now. I wouldn’t have thought that in my own ruminations, given the pandemic, the economic and political pain and the emotional anguish of so many during this year. But that thought has reminded me that this is the season of thanksgiving, and in every season God is actively blessing his children, his world.

May you and I have new eyes to see our situations today, so that we can receive all that God has for us.

Have a wonderful ‘grandmother’s summer’.

No comments:

Post a Comment