Popular Posts

Tuesday 17 November 2020

Honesty

 

Looking west towards Banchory from the prayer window, I notice a bedraggled Honesty plant, more like a weather-beaten twig. The stem itself is twisted and bent, and the honesty seed pods look like ancient parchment. Google tells me that it was first called Honesty in the 16th century (its Latin name means moon-shaped), nicknamed thus because of the translucence of its seed pods.

I like to think that I am always honest, but I recognise that my greatest dishonesty relates to my self-assessment. It is that dishonesty which can lead to judgmental criticism of situations and people. I am so encouraged that when God looks at me, my heart is a translucent seed pod. He can surgically remove the rotten seeds of deception and warped thinking, and I trust him with the divine scalpel to be doing that moment by moment. One day, in his hands and by his grace, I hope to hold only good seed within my heart, seed that will scatter and bear fruit and nourish the hearts of others.

I have learned this morning that the honesty plant is edible. Its seeds can be used as a substitute for mustard, its flowers and leaves enhance salads. Often, I have yanked out the bedraggled plants from the flower bed, but now, I think I will treat them with greater respect.

Maybe I’m not alone in feeling that the quixotic winds of the global situation are leaving me bedraggled and bruised. I pray that out of these times the seeds which fall from our hearts will germinate in others and produce attitudes which are sweeter, kinder, more generous and compassionate, encouraging us to become warriors for justice and truth in the world and in the individual.

I’ll never look at an honesty plant in the same way again!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment