Popular Posts

Monday 30 November 2020

Thanksgiving 2020

 

Thanksgiving 2020.

The red kite hovers, apparently effortlessly, over the field, surfing the wind, keeping a sharp eye on what lies beneath. She looks peaceful and calm while she waits to spot her hapless prey, and when she does, she will respond with speed and precision.

This has been a year of waiting. Waiting for the virus to die off, for a vaccine to be developed, for numbers of sufferers to drop, for restrictions to lift. We are all still waiting.

I am not always peaceful and calm as I wait, but I know that focusing on my blessings fills my heart with gratitude and drives out the fears and longings that otherwise preoccupy me. Thanksgiving 2020 will be memorable, as much for the joy of sharing our thankfulness (and turkey) with those in our household as for the anguish of missed reunions with those others outside of our bubble.  

We are now in advent, a season associated with waiting, a season to remember the promises of God, who never disappoints. May he help me to surf the wind of the Spirit as I wait for the promise of Emmanuel, as I wait for the demise of the virus, as I wait for reunion with loved ones. May he fill my heart with gratitude, and uphold me so that I can glide peacefully through this day (going to the dentist!), with my eyes fixed on him, the author and perfecter of my faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment