Popular Posts

Tuesday 24 November 2020

Under Siege

 


Greg and Groucho were having a game before Greg was taken, rather reluctantly, to nursery. I wedged myself into the prayer window for my morning quiet, and as I read Colossians about the wonder of Jesus, and thought, with a thankful heart, of his love for his world, I became aware that I was surrounded by symbols of aggression and violence. Toy soldiers brandished weapons while cowboys levelled guns.

All around us, wherever we are in the world, aggression and violence are part of our daily lives. For some, it may be real physical war or oppression, famine and injustice issues. For others, it may be workplace bullying, racist attitudes, misogynist belittling, domestic abuse. During these uncertain times, it may be the active fear of the future, fear of job loss, fear of homelessness, or for children, bewilderment at the anxiety displayed by parents and family.

Right in the middle of it all, and so much bigger, is the Word of God. Jesus, the Prince of Peace, towers over the puny enemies which loom so large in our conscious thoughts, undermining our peace and threatening relationships.

I pray for all whose lives are physically threatened, that God will show his hand and surround those in danger with an army of angels to protect and deliver.

May he help me to readjust my own perspective today, and allow faith to demolish all strongholds of fear in my heart and mind as I come to God with an overwhelming sense of love and gratitude. God is good, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment