Popular Posts

Monday 23 November 2020

The Colours of Love

 

Stripes of neon pinks, oranges and purples streaked the matrix of grey when I opened the curtains this morning. God had his paintbox out. The beauty made me smile, made me exclaim an audible thank you to him for this spectacular world he has created for us to inhabit.

A great start to Thanksgiving week. Thanksgiving is the main holiday for family visits across the USA; other holidays carry other traditions as well but Thanksgiving is all about the get-togethers, the sharing of food, and the love of family and friends.

This year is different. My Mom’s residential home has ruled that anyone who leaves the community (even for a two-hour meal) has to face a bleak 14-day in-room quarantine afterwards. She will be celebrating Thanksgiving, which I am usually able to share with her, with the other elderly residents and the exceptionally kind staff. It’s not the same, but I am so grateful for a mother who has a heart of gratitude and is able to absorb disappointments because of her relationship with the Lord.

Normally, if I weren’t with Mom for the holiday, I would be cooking the turkey here for a gathering of as many family members as could come. This year I’ve got a turkey crown to cook for those of us who are seeing out the pandemic together. I am so grateful for the flexibility a large home gives us, so we will have seven round our table on Saturday when we celebrate.

But the absence of the others will be keenly felt. The inability to visit Mom for over a year now is keenly felt. Separation stings.

So wonderful, then, to awake to the artistry of the Creator and be reminded that he is with us through all the disappointments and sorrows. This is the day he has made. This is the world he has created. You and I are the ones he came to save to live with him forever. So much to be thankful for. The colours of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment