Popular Posts

Tuesday 4 October 2022

Vicious Weeds

 

While I’ve been distracted harvesting some of the fruit – raspberries and strawberries, currants, cherries, brambles, and now apples – couch grass and nettles have crept in among the roses, entwined themselves among the sweet peas and marigolds. I never noticed, and then suddenly, yesterday, it was all I could see as I passed them on the way to water the greenhouse tomatoes.

Choking the flowers I nurtured, these unwanted weeds were ferocious in their resistance to my trowel and fork. A rogue cherry tree had taken hold, its roots resting on the roots of a rosebush also gone rogue, bearing rose hips this year. I had just enough time before the rain fell, to dig and cut and wrestle the roots out as best I could, leaving a small expanse of bare soil.

It won’t be long before that bare soil is filled with another scattering of weeds.

When Jesus expelled the demon from the man, he encouraged the delivered individual to be filled with the Spirit of God now, lest an even more vicious cohort of demons should invade the vacuum of his soul. A vacuum is never stable, always open to accept whatever will stabilise it.

Go on being filled with the Spirit, Paul encourages. Coming to God, being cleansed of sin and restored through the blood of Jesus, is a daily routine for a serious believer, and offers the delight of being filled again with the Holy Spirit so that God’s beauty and love and presence can be fully experienced in the daily routines of life. May I be filled again with the Spirit today, strengthened and enabled to walk in the peace of Jesus and extend kindness and hope to everyone I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment