Popular Posts

Friday 2 December 2022

Security?

 

Airport security confiscated the jar of moisturiser, because it exceeded the 100ml limit (125ml) and the Duty Free Bag had not been sealed by the vendor at LAX.

They – and security at LAX – failed to spot something else which should have raised huge alarm bells. Lying forgotten in the bottom of my handbag was my father’s US Marine Corps field knife. I’d seen it at Mom’s and dropped it in my bag, wanting it for sentimental reasons. I’d forgotten it until I was unpacking at home.

I am greatly relieved it was not seen, but I am greatly concerned too. While they are busy confiscating new tubs of moisturiser because they contain a dollop more than is allowed, they are missing items which could, in the wrong hands, be used for violence and aggression.

How often in my own life does my eye get drawn to something I find offensive, overlooking that which has real power to harm? How often does my own inner security x-ray accept a new social norm or cultural opinion which has the power to undermine my standing on the rock?

Stolpersteine. Stolpersteine are scattered amongst the cobblestones on German streets. Each ‘stumbling stone’ is inscribed with the name, date of birth, date of deportation, and date of murder of a Jewish person who once lived in the nearby apartment or home, and who fell victim to Nazi persecution. Innocent people who caused others to stumble, just because they were there.

Lord, may I always see with the clarity and discernment of the Holy Spirit, that I might not be concerned about that which has no power to harm, and overlook that which kills. Jesus warned us about this. May we not be deceived; may the Holy Spirit’s security system in us detect that which has the real power to harm eternally.

No comments:

Post a Comment