Popular Posts

Thursday 8 December 2022

A Global Gooey Mess

 

We shared the memory of a truly delicious meal of pumpkin gnocchi. We’d made them together twice. In our arrogance of thinking we knew what we were doing, we altered the ingredients. Slightly, we thought. The recipe stipulated pumpkin or squash – crown prince, kabocha or delica. Never heard of those, but we had a butternut squash so grabbed it.

It nearly fulfilled the quantity, but we felt we needed some pumpkin in if they were truly going to be pumpkin gnocchi, so we opened one of the ones from the garden and adjusted the recipe accordingly.

We thought.

A ton of flour later, trying to get the right consistency, we were left with a gooey mess which we did cook and heroically try to consume. Some of it we managed to choke down without gagging on the gluten. The rest is in the food recycling.

That little effort took nearly two hours.

Dinner was late and nearly inedible.

Take-aways from that? (Yes, a take-away would have been welcome…)

Don’t alter the recipe unless you really know what you are doing!

Jesus said, I am the way, the truth and the life. He is the way. In the arrogance of collective humanity, we have veered off the recipe and it seems the whole world is heading towards the cliff/shore like lemmings. We are in a global gooey mess.

Today I will keep my head, with my heart and my thoughts focused on Jesus, the light of the world. In my preparations for Christmas, may I truly prepare a space in my heart/mind/spirit to welcome Jesus anew. May I truly listen more carefully to his inspiration, and follow his recipe for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment