Popular Posts

Monday 12 December 2022

Potica and Traditions

 

During my childhood, my mom was good at keeping traditions. Especially at Christmas. Certain Christmas cookies were made every year: Pfeffernusse, Viennese Nut Cookies, sugar cookies, candy cane cookies, gingerbread. My dad did the candy making: Divinity, chocolate fudge, and rocky road.

For a household that rarely ate desserts, Christmas was a real celebration of sugar!

In my teen years Mom began baking a morning sweet bread called Potica, which she read was from Yugoslavia. When our Bosnian friends  stayed with us in the 90s, though, they’d never heard of Potica, so I’m not sure…

Over the years here I have kept many of these culinary traditions. Potica is one of them, and today is the day. I’ll make it today and then freeze the two sweet bread rings for Christmas and new year.

It was one thing making Potica in warm southern California, where yeast could stretch and grow in the heat. In a Northeastern Scottish December, in my cold home, it is a challenge to get it to rise, but the last few years I’ve made use of the bread-maker to get the dough started, and that has undoubtedly helped. As long as I can remember how I did it last year …

Traditions are touchstones with the past, tunnels into times of laughter and love with people who may no longer be here. Traditions can draw us to recollect truths about who we are.

The godfather of tradition is God. He calls his people to remember all the times he has been involved in their lives and salvation in startling ways, and he establishes traditions to help the memories revive. Passover and other festivals on the Jewish calendar. The bread and the wine on the Christian calendar. They reveal the unconditional love of Father God for his children.

Not all tradition is so profound of course, so my prayer is that those traditions which really matter I will embrace with love and enthusiasm, and that those which have become a chore performed out of a sense of duty or perceived expectation, I will drop.

So far, I’m still finding joy in producing potica, so here goes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment