Popular Posts

Wednesday 29 March 2023

Left to my own devices

 


A few years ago, I appropriated the globe left behind in a grown child’s room. I put it in the prayer window, and began putting black stickers on the hot spots in the world especially in need of prayer.

I gave up. I didn’t want to end up with a black ball.

Maybe some of the most heart-breaking words of the gospel are, ‘For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.’

This world is aching for its saviour. It is convulsed in pain, as the ecology is compromised and habitats are wrecked, as men take up arms against each other, as greed drives people to pocket more than their share, as fear overwhelms kindness.

Maybe some of the most heartening words were uttered by Jesus: In this world you will have trouble, but take heart, for I have overcome the world.

As we approach Holy Week, my thoughts are on His sacrifice. Overwhelmed by his love. Humbled by his mercy and grace.

I know that left to my own devices, I am one of those black spots I was sticking on the world. Praise God that he didn’t leave me to my own devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment