Popular Posts

Friday 3 March 2023

Life-draining funghi

 

I settled into the prayer window, later than usual. We were slower to rise, then the neighbour came in for a coffee. His life is challenging as he tries to navigate the choppy waters of life as a refugee.

I noticed the fungi creeping up the trunk of a tree outside the window. I’ve seen it before, but not taken note. This morning my eye rested on it as I recognised that, left to spread, it will eventually kill the tree.

What fungus is creeping up in my life, I wondered. What parasitic life-sucking attitude or thought-pattern has crept in unnoticed? What hurt or wound have I ignored and allowed to fester, which may be leaking its poison into my mind, my soul?

A reading from Psalm 55 made me think of the rejection Jesus suffered. That rejection might have blurred his vision of his clear call from the Father, but he didn’t allow it to. He spent hours with his Father, demonstrating the power and love of relationship with God.

The final reading in the devotional I am following was in Jeremiah 31:3-4a: I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. I will build you up again and you will be rebuilt.

Lord, I pray this morning that you will rip off any negative, life-draining attitudes and thoughts which I have allowed to take root in me. Clean me up, Lord, so that I might flourish and blossom and bloom and be all that I can be, for your glory, Lord. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment