Popular Posts

Wednesday 5 April 2023

Squabbling birds

 


Busy in the kitchen baking a birthday cake, I suddenly found my thoughts interrupted by a cacophony of argumentative birds.

Outside the kitchen window, three or four birds were discussing the merits of the different nesting boxes open to them. Watching their antics was mesmerising, as they checked out one and then the other. I am not sure if there was more than one couple who wanted the same hide-away, or if it was a pair of birds disagreeing over which suited them better.

One has a perch, and easier access to the climbing rose. One has a view of the sunsets. The interior design is identical.

Disputes arise among people over so many minute things that in the end don’t matter. May I be wise enough, with your guidance, Lord, to raise my eyes to higher perspectives when my attention is distracted by noisy nonsense. Forgive us when we engage in tedious and ultimately unimportant conflicts rather than focusing on the things that unite us.

May we be one, Lord, as you and the Father and the Spirit are one. Sigh. Change our hearts. Transform our minds by the renewing of your Holy Spirit.

Prince of Peace, reign in me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment