Popular Posts

Wednesday 26 April 2023

Restore the Joy!

 

Do everything without complaining…so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault. Phil 2:14-15 

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged. Matthew 7:1-2

From the ends of the earth we hear singing…But I said, ‘I waste away, I waste away! Woe is me! Isaiah 24:16

I bought a book on grief for someone, but thought I should read it first. It has struck home with me so many times, no more so than this morning’s reading, which started with these three verses.

Jennifer Rees Larcombe, the author of ‘Beauty for Ashes’, recently died, so I can’t write to thank her for her wise words. I hope someone thanked her in her lifetime. Writing from her own desperately painful experience of loss, she describes the attitudes revealed by the above verses as being powerful joy-killers.

I recognise the faults in myself. For years, I have had a line of an old chorus often in my head and on my lips: ‘Restore unto me the joy of my salvation.’ I remember those heady days when I first met Jesus and was filled with the Spirit. I want them back, and so am grateful for the light she shines on what can conspire to kill my joy.

Today I repent of grumbling, criticising and feeling sorry for myself. Though these are not constant attitudes in me, they certainly rear their ugly heads with regularity and now that I recognise them as joy-stealers, I want to have nothing more to do with any of them ever.

Lord, rewire my brain, I pray. Transform my thinking and my default reactions so they copy yours, Jesus. May I be a vessel of your love and grace, your mercy and kindness, pouring myself out in confidence that you refill me, pressed down and overflowing. You are more than enough.

I have lived many years, and I have known many griefs, from the agonising heartache of homesickness to the loss of a sister, a dad, a grandson and many friends, and the slow loss of my mother into dementia. I didn’t know how helpful I would find a book on grief, because I didn’t recognise the space it has assumed in my heart. I really recommend this wee book of ‘Readings for times of loss’.

On this beautiful morning, I lift my eyes to the hills, and thank God, who is my help always.

No comments:

Post a Comment