Popular Posts

Thursday 7 March 2024

Best Mom Ever

 


With Mothering Sunday coming in a couple of days here in the UK, I just want to sing the praises of my dear Mom, who will be 100 years old in August. I had the most inspiring and wonderful conversation with her tonight. Despite her macular-degeneration-blindness and dementia-challenged brain, she was inspired to hear about the evening of worship and preaching that I attended in Aberdeen last night (which was awesome). We went on to share faith with each other and she talked of the privilege of being able to offer hope and faith to those with whom she lives in a residential home. She can’t remember any of them so it is like meeting strangers every day, who she can’t even see, and yet she understands that she is still, somehow, part of God’s plan and she can still, somehow, point others to Christ.

She is an amazing role-model to me, having persevered in faith through significant challenges and terrible tragedies in her lifetime. The loss of her father to cancer on the eve of her high school graduation, a month before her youngest brother was born. Tragically losing her mother not even a decade later. Holding my sister Judy’s hand as she stepped from her cancer-ravaged body into eternity at the age of 37. Having her only living child and all four of her grandchildren living thousands of miles away in a different country. Quietly and steadfastly nursing my dad during his last days, when she was 86. None of it stole her faith, only enlarged it. Tonight, she spoke warmly of her gratitude to her own parents for their faith and the way they lived it out during the depression years.

We agreed that Christ is the hope of the world, and that as the light flickers during these dark days His light in us is needed more than ever. From the kitchen, where he was preparing the salad for supper, Don overheard our conversation on Skype, and came and spoke to her warmly, emotionally, of his admiration for her amazing fortitude and faith.

It won’t be Mother’s Day in the States for another two months, but I want to celebrate my special mother here and now, while she is still alive, still giving selflessly, still offering words of wisdom and advice. I thank God for my dear Mom, and for the privilege it is to care for her, even from such a distance. She won’t read this, but I trust that she senses my hug and feels my love. I love you, Mom, and owe you such a depth of gratitude.

(Apologies for the cheesy emotions – very un-British I know. Just had to do it while I can. And I am, after all, still American, even after all these years.)

No comments:

Post a Comment