Popular Posts

Tuesday 4 October 2011

Soaring


Unresolved responsibilities were preying on my mind, and decisions eluded me. I walked along the road, gazing up at the sky, where I noticed a buzzard or other such bird of prey circling. Rising on the thermals, dropping at heart-stopping speed, and rising once again. Tipping wings first one way, then the next, rising, rising.

Then I noticed the second, and the third, and finally a fourth buzzard. My own anxieties receded as I watched, transfixed, as these four birds rose to dizzying heights with scarcely a flap of wing. 

It looked amazing. It looked fun. Imagine the perspective they had on all that lay beneath. I thought of the legendary vision of such birds of prey – eagle-eyed we say, if someone has the ability to see minute movement from a fantastic distance.

Into my mind popped the wonderful promise in Isaiah 40: “ ...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”

Mentally I handed my worries to the Lord, put my hope in him, and felt myself rising, without the desperate flapping which had so disturbed my thoughts before. 

We don’t have to flap. We can soar on wings like eagles. Or buzzards, here in the northeast.

No comments:

Post a Comment