Popular Posts

Saturday 8 October 2011

Times of Refreshment


Our 24 hours of refreshment came at the right moment. Both Don and I, pretty weary from months of activity and various emotional highs and lows, are feeling better for a wee breather courtesy of our fabulous kids.

The Bield offers a perfect place to step out of the rat-race and think of other things. I have been there twice before and had big plans for a deep connection with God and fanning into flames the glowing embers of faith. But I found I was almost too tired to receive. The Labyrinth, an ancient practice involving a simple grass-cut path on which the seeker ‘journeys’ with God, has yielded rewarding results in the past but yesterday, I seemed to be listening to the wind. 

The Spiritual MOT I had planned to work through ‘religiously’ was too daunting and instead we opted for an early night. I confess I felt disappointed, a failure. But as I awoke this morning, God gave me a little picture, clear and comforting. A forearm – His forearm – was washing the glass of a small round window, something like a dormer or velux window at the top of a house, but round. 

Meaningless to some perhaps but to me it communicated reassurance, that Jesus himself is cleaning the dirty glass of my brain and my spirit, so that His light can more fully enter into me. It’s not about me cleaning it. It’s about allowing Him to clean it. 

What a comfort.  What a relief. What a compassionate Lord we have.  

No comments:

Post a Comment