Popular Posts

Tuesday 18 October 2011

Spiritual MOT - Day Two

The fuel system – am I filling up with the right fuel – and enough of it?

It’s nearly cold enough to snow here this morning so my walk was very brisk, but not so brisk I didn’t admire the stunning sky, which was splodged with salmon-pink blotches and yellow smears. There’s been a lot in the news about Van Gogh – did he commit suicide or was he shot by a teenager? Did suicide enhance his tortured-soul persona, or does it matter? God’s artistry far surpasses that of any human painter, so what does it reveal about his character? Have I even thought about that?

Scripture encourages us to meditate on God even through the night, but frankly, my mind spends more time entertaining anxious thoughts about various people who are dear to me, or situations that I’m responsible for, or health issues, etc etc. With anxiety fuelling my thoughts, I am not purring along sweetly, as my Maker intended. Instead, my engine is probably clanking and banging and not getting the optimum results. If I attract any attention, it’s probably for the wrong reasons, not because I’m transparently glowing with the glory of God.

So, I’m going to stop here and go sit in my prayer window, look to the stormy skies and pray – ‘fill ‘er up, Lord!’

It may take some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment