Popular Posts

Thursday 6 October 2011

Apple Butter


OK, this is going to be a weird one.

Just had to re-boil the apple butter I made, because I didn’t boil it long enough yesterday for it to thicken to a spreading consistency, and instead it was still runny.

I hate that, because it involves re-washing and sterilizing everything, re-boiling, re-testing, and so on. Got it now – I hope! Won’t know until it’s cooled down.

One thing I do know now though is that it yielded one less jar than yesterday. Boiling it down concentrates the taste, removes some of the moisture, and reduces the yield.

It got me thinking. I’ve been so busy recently, spread thin. A bit of this, a bit of that, hard to remember everything I’m responsible to do.  

By doing so much, maybe I’m not as ‘tasty’ as I would be if I did less. If I were to spend more time contemplating God and studying my Bible, maybe my Christ-like fragrance (to mix a metaphor) would be more noticeable to others.  Maybe, when I meet others, they would be able to ‘taste’ the Lord in me, and see that He is good.

Well, tomorrow Don and I are escaping to the Bield, a retreat centre  just outside of Perth. Twenty-four hours of heaven, a gift from our wonderful kids for birthdays long since past.

We’ll become human beings again, rather than human doings.

 My yield may be less for this week, but my flavour may be sweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment