Popular Posts

Saturday 18 January 2014

Heavy clouds



Heavy clouds have sunk onto the hills round about us, resting their heavy flanks on the brows of the hills and roiling their dampness into every dip and glen. There is no horizon outside today, just an expanse of grey stretching as far as I can see.

I have to confess that having heard today’s news on the radio a few times, I feel as if heavy clouds have sunk onto my brain, soaking every synapse in the damp pervasiveness of evil in our time. The body of a three year old child who has been missing for a few days has been found, and his mother is being questioned. Reports from Afghanistan indicate that violence against women there is on the rise as western forces withdraw and gender repression is powerful and resurgent. The world’s newest nation, South Sudan, is on the verge of collapse and genocide is a real possibility. I read details of a 46 year old marriage which ended in divorce last year as the husband started a relationship with the wife’s friend. And so on.

Meeting the heavy clouds is the damp stench of the swamp we seem to be mired in.

I’m listening to an inspiring Hillsong composition called God is Able, as I write this. He will never fail. He is Almighty God. I am reminding myself of that. 

The heavy clouds of evil and oppression may blank out any vision of the sun. If I were trying to explain what the sun is today to an alien who just emerged from underground, he would find it incomprehensible. 

But that doesn’t make it any the less real. I know that the sun is there, on the other side of these damp grey clouds, and that it will shine again. 

I know that God is always good, that the Son is there, on my side and yours, and that he has overcome evil at the cross. ‘My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.’ One day he will sweep in and mop up the final flings of the enemy and then...peace will reign forever. God is for us; he has open arms; he will never fail us. Christ alone. My cornerstone.

Remember that today when you hear the news, when you see the injustice and oppression, when your heart aches with anguish for those who suffer. God’s heart aches too, and not only has he given his answer to it all in Jesus, he also is expecting us to do what we can, in our own wee corner, to make a difference today.

Even though it seems like explaining what the sun is to an underground alien who can’t see it, offer someone who is at the point of despair today the certain hope that Jesus is for us, and he has overcome evil.

And raise your voice in protest; your heart in prayer; your eyes to the heavens, expectantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment