Popular Posts

Tuesday 7 January 2014

Tangled Locks



One of the lovely things about Dusty is her long hair. When groomed, the long black curls look very attractive.

Unfortunately, though, she is one of those rare dogs which hates to be brushed. She moves off as quickly as she can when the brush comes out. So I don’t do it very often, and by the time I do, the dreadlocks have formed behind her ears, clumped into matted twists of hair pressed hard to her skin. They form in other places, too, and are equally challenging to deal with.

Eventually, I will take her to the groomers, though that in itself is a huge challenge because she becomes so agitated she needs sedating, and even then is not easy. Once or twice they’ve shaved the knots off while she was knocked out by the vet for other reasons. 

Sometimes that which is most attractive in us can turn ugly. Power – when used for good, it can be so beautiful, but how often it gets hold of the powerful and corrupts them completely. Wealth – money can be such a blessing to others when it is used generously by those who have plenty of it, but how often it gets hold of the rich and makes them mean and greedy.

Blessings from God are to be sought, but so, too, is wisdom from him as to how to use those blessings, be they temporal or spiritual. 

Help me, Lord, not to let your blessings become a tangled dreadlock pressing hard on my heart. May your blessings to me today flow through me and out into this world in which I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment