Popular Posts

Thursday 2 January 2014

The Benefits of a Good Pruning




I’d forgotten that I had a view of the hill from my kitchen window, because the Leylandi had obscured it for so long.


Then Don trimmed some of the lower branches. Wow!

Not only has the view been restored, and much enjoyed as it faces west and allows me to soak in the glory of some amazing sunsets, but wind resistance has been decreased, giving the tree a better chance of keeping a grip on the ground.

Some things which have become a part of us are not good for us. For instance, my aim in life is to live a life which is as transparent as possible, so that others can glimpse God. Not that I am holy and living a perfect life, but that when I mess up, others can see God’s grace at work within me. When I am under pressure, others can see God’s strength pulling me through. When I am falling apart, others can see God pulling me back together. 

But if I have allowed unhelpful ‘branches’ to grow – perhaps some personality traits which are not very godly – then the view of God becomes restricted, or even obliterated.

So at the beginning of 2014, I am opening myself up to the divine Gardener to prune off those bits which are really restricting a view of God and resisting the fresh wind of his Holy Spirit. 

And I am aiming to sink my roots deeper into Jesus in the process.

Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment