Popular Posts

Tuesday 14 January 2014

Whatever



Be still and know

Does it take being laid aside with a nasty virus for me to obey these wise words from God?

Perhaps it does. I’m no different from anyone else, dashing from one ‘chore’ or delight to another, grabbing a few quiet moments at the beginning or end of the day or while I walk the dog. Seeing God’s creative hand at work in the sweep of a beautiful sky or the antics of animals around me, in the frost or the sunshine or the rainbow and giving him my grateful thanks – but rarely lingering.

Rarely being still.

Stillness isn’t just a matter of sitting without moving. It’s that deeper stillness, that inner quiet and peace. The psalmist writes (Psalm 131) that ‘I have calmed and quieted myself, I am like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child I am content’. 

I don’t like the commonly tossed-off line – ‘whatever’ – but perhaps it is appropriate when sitting quiet and knowing God. Knowing his love, his goodness, his faithful care for his creation. 

As I am still and know that He is God, I can say with confidence, ‘whatever’ God. ‘Whatever’ you think right.

No comments:

Post a Comment