Popular Posts

Monday 17 March 2014

Important or a Time-Waster?




Just finished an article about recognising which urgent interruptions are more important than what you are in the middle of doing. It’s a tough one.

And that made me think about how I’m nearing the starting blocks for another transatlantic flight, going home to visit my mom and daughter. Limping home, still rather crippled by a bad back. 

So I’m in the countdown and very much having to determine what is urgent and what is important and chucking whatever doesn’t really need doing. Finished the article – that was both urgent and important. Now to the packing, which easily falls into both categories as well.

But then – there is fresh granola to be made and shopping to be bought for Don while I’m away. He is quite capable of doing these things himself, but this is where I put pressure on myself to try to minimise his added chores while I am away. 

Jesus once admonished a woman called Martha for complaining that her sister Mary was just sitting around listening to what Jesus had to say, leaving Martha to do all the work. He gently suggested that although there was a lot to do, Mary had chosen to do what was most important. Get herself right with God.

I need to remind myself of that lesson so often, when the to-do list is long and apparently urgent but the time with God is what is important. 

Not so easy to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment