Popular Posts

Monday 3 March 2014

Heart Throb



Today I participated in a research project for a cardiology student from the university. He needed volunteers of a certain age so Don and I stepped forward. Well actually, Don stepped forward and I was dragged. I feel like I spend enough hours in waiting rooms for appointments, and I was sure my heart was fine anyway. Probably not much interest to the student.

However, Don persuaded me that it would be good to make sure our hearts are, in fact, fine. So we went, and I have to confess that I’m glad I did.

Not because he found anything sinister or threatening. But because of the glimpse I got of a miracle.

I lay on my side facing the computer screen as the student positioned the scanner in the right places to get the optimum pictures of my beating heart. I saw the valves opening and shutting. I heard the swooshes of blood as they pumped through the chambers. I saw explosions of red and blue on the screen, indicating which blood was going in, and which was coming out, of my heart.

The technology is amazing – the scanner, the computer, the things it can measure. But the technology is nothing compared to the human heart.

For over six decades this heart has never had a break (well, actually, there have been a few heartbreaks!) No stoppages. No going on strike. No just pausing for a minute or two. Day in, day out, sitting, running, sleeping, climbing stairs, that incredible muscle has never paused or stopped.

We are fearfully and wonderfully made, the Bible says.
Who can deny there is intelligence behind the creation of the beating heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment