Popular Posts

Thursday 6 March 2014

Downwardly Mobile Swans




Dusty and I circled round the back of the woods and began to head towards the road. Behind me, in the air, I heard a beating sound, like the sound of bellows blowing wind into a stubborn fire. I looked back.

Two swans descended in tandem, tracing a gracious circle in the air before disappearing from my view. I knew where they went.

The local laird dredged out a ‘duck pond’ – complete with shooting ‘hides’ – several years ago for his own private use. I’ve not seen him or the game keeper there for a long time but that’s not to say they don’t still come and shoot wild ducks in season. 

My swans floated on the surface of the pond, nibbling at pond weed, graceful necks twisting and turning. There is a pair of breeding swans at a garden centre pond a few miles away, and I wondered if these two were having a day out from there. 

In the UK, only royalty can eat swans, by law. I would imagine that confers a certain protection on them, so that they can land on duck ponds with impunity, without fear of being shot. By extension, perhaps their very presence on the pond affords a protection to any ducks which might otherwise be the target for the laird’s table.

Graceful, royal birds protecting ugly ducklings just by their presence.

It reminds me of Jesus, who left behind his glory in heaven to take on the ugly duckling garb of humanity, only to rise to everlasting life. His identification with us gives us a protection from the enemy whose aim it is to destroy us. Staying near to Jesus is similar to a duck staying near to a swan. 

And the other thing about Jesus which I see in this rather goofy analogy, is that though we are all ugly ducklings now, because of his sacrifice for us, we shall one day be swans, full of grace and beauty. 

All because of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment