Popular Posts

Saturday 22 March 2014

New life

I have just been marvelling at the shadowy images of my first grandchild. Twelve or thirteen weeks and growing daily.
Who is this new life? God knows, because in his word he says that before he created any of us in the womb, he knew us. That is just amazing! To us it all seems to be just at the beginning, with a start moment at conception twelve or thirteen weeks ago. But to God, he has known this little one since ... Since when? Since before time began.
Every life is so special. God knows every beat of this wee one's heart. He knows the plans he has for this child. He is as excited as we are, or more so.
Here at my mom's house I am enjoying the trim beauty of a newly planted red bud tree. The blossom is out now, a deep fuscia colour, but it is there in very small amounts because the tree is young, and the branches have been pruned short. But in a few months or years, this red bud tree will be stunning as it grows in girth and grace.
And so will this new life growing within my daughter in law, protected in love and nurtured by her own body.
Protected in love and nurtured by her own body. Isn't that exactly what Jesus has done for us, and is doing daily? Protecting us in his love, and nurturing us by his Spirit so that we can grow to be all that we can be.
Trying to anticipate my elderly mother's needs and make provision for her while here, so that she can feel safe and secure when I am away again, is frightening, daunting. I lie awake thinking of things I need to get into place. And then a dear friend sends me a timely reminder from psalm 4, that we can lie down and sleep in safety and peace because God has it all in hand.
At whichever end of life, or in the middle, God holds us in his hand, loving and nurturing us through the incredible sacrifice of his own body.
It is a mystery so profound. I am grateful beyond words, and now will lie down again and sleep, secure in his love and the promise that he knows the plans he has for us all, and they are plans for good.
And I can fully anticipate the pure joy of this new life, trusting in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment