Popular Posts

Monday 14 July 2014

Relationship and Faith



I read an article the other day by an atheist who has a problem with the concept of faith-based schools and feels that the government in the UK is too quick to assume that ‘people of faith’ are generally more socially responsible than people without faith. He made the assertion that faith is a leap in the dark.

Of course plenty of people claim that, but it’s had me thinking. All relationships include some measure of trust and faith. Or should I say, all good relationships. All marriages should. When I met my husband I didn’t know everything there was to know about him, but I trusted what I saw and I ‘took a leap of faith’. But the leap of faith was based on the relationship which we had nurtured and developed.

The same holds true for my faith in God. It is not a leap in the dark but is based on relationship, the experience of encountering God at a deep spiritual level and receiving a deep peace that what I was encountering was true and good and real.

It isn’t a great idea to base faith on hearsay or legend. But the historicity of Jesus is documented more than the historicity of many other historical figures we accept as having lived. Grappling with his words in the Bible introduces a new depth to the knowing about Jesus, and enables one to know Jesus. 

My faith is based on my relationship. The more time I spend engaged in nurturing that relationship, the stronger my faith is.

No comments:

Post a Comment