Popular Posts

Thursday 13 October 2016

Apples of Wisdom



Cooking apples hang heavy on the tree, the promise of crumbles and pies and apple butter. The comforting tastes of autumn as temps begin to drop and winds begin to rise. Already, though,  I anticipate the cramped hand and the discoloured fingers which accompany the hours of peeling, coring, and slicing necessary to transform the raw fruit into tasty treats. 

Some fruit needs processing, and that takes time and effort. I’d like to just pick Patience off a tree, for instance, and make it my own characteristic, but it’s a cliché which I know to be true that when I ask for Patience I find myself plunged into challenging circumstances requiring reliance on the Holy Spirit. It’s a process, not an instant creation. 

Wisdom is another fruit that takes time and a divine touch. It comes with experience, but even those of us with years under our belts can’t rely totally on our experience. If I really want to live out my faith I need to keep a strong connection with God. The New Living Translation of the Bible says, ‘If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you...But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone.’ The temptation is to think that our years automatically convey wisdom, when the divine dependence is required throughout our lives.

Maybe it’s that recognition which is one of the first steps towards attaining wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment