Popular Posts

Thursday 20 October 2016

Overwhelmed and Grumpy



A chaotic hill of parcels tumbled towards the door of the van and as I approached, I heard the van driver breathe out in exasperation, ‘I don’t believe it!’ I thought perhaps whatever delivery we were to receive might be at the bottom of the hill but no, he quickly retrieved a small box and gave me the device for the signature.

Someone else is off work, it turns out, and this delivery man is doubling up and working long hours to get everything to the right addresses. All of our clicks on our computers keep this guy in a job, but it is a demanding and stressful role at times it seems. He was overwhelmed and grumpy.

Sometimes I can feel like others aren’t shouldering their share of the load and I can become overwhelmed and grumpy. I guess the van driver didn’t have a choice: it was his job to deliver the double load. But I usually have a choice and can elect to leave some things buried at the bottom of the hill of duties. 

Jesus invites us to walk with him and enjoy the ‘unforced rhythms of grace’. Everywhere I look I see things to be done, but they don’t all have to be done by me, today. I choose to walk in an unforced rhythm of grace with God today. The hill will still be there tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment