Popular Posts

Wednesday 15 January 2020

Wind, wind, blow on me!


Wintry winds shriek round the house. No snow thus far. No ice. But the wind reminds me that it is indeed winter.

Wind, wind, blow on me: that worship song was popular when I was born again in 1980. Wind, wind, set me free. With great excitement and hunger to know God in a new, deeper way, I sang with fervour. Wind, wind, blow on me!

I thought, then, of the wind of the Spirit as a gentle breeze bringing refreshment and joy. I have a sensual memory of such a breeze in Long Beach when I was growing up: I have a memory of the welcome sense of that breath of wind in a certain shopping strip where I’d gone to get bread.

I’ve learned through the years, however, that the wind of the Spirit can feel like the wintry winds, buffeting me and ruffling my preconceptions, stirring up my complacencies, disturbing the worldly detritus which has blown into my soul and whipping them up and out, bringing cleansing, however uncomfortable that may be.

So, today, on this wintry, windy day, I still sing: wind, wind, blow on me. Set me free. He is faithful and he will do it, and he will strengthen me to welcome his refreshing presence, however disturbing it may be.


No comments:

Post a Comment