Popular Posts

Monday 27 January 2020

A Little Rest



‘Let’s take a break and get a little rest,’ Jesus said to his exhausted followers.

I remember the constant pressure of having toddlers and pre-schoolers in the home, the energetic activity and endless demands. Once I planted a couple of mine in front of ‘Playschool’, a television programme which was on for fifteen or twenty minutes in the morning. I quietly closed the door to the bedroom and sank to my knees. I wanted to take a break with Jesus, and get a little rest.

Within a minute or two, however, both kids burst into the bedroom, arguing over something.
Jesus went off with his tired friends, but by the time they arrived at their place of rest, a huge crowd surrounded them, demanding his ministry. With compassion and grace, Jesus went ‘right to work’ teaching them.

I’d like to say mine was a reaction of compassion and grace. I was more like the disciples, advising Jesus to send the crowd away. I was irritated and cross, cheated of my fifteen minutes of rest with Jesus. I felt like sending the kids ‘away’ back to the telly. I didn’t show any compassion or grace, and never tried to get away again like that, recognising I showed more grace sitting with them watching Playschool than bursting into an angry tirade when my moment was gone.

Circumstances don’t always let us get away to a quiet place with Jesus and get some rest. He can give us ‘rest on the run’ when we’re under pressure, but for me, anyway, making space in my day or week to take a little break with Jesus, maybe worshipping with Christian music or walking with him in the woods, is crucial for my health.

No comments:

Post a Comment