Popular Posts

Monday 29 June 2020

Not Enough Bandwidth

We Zoomed and connected with a few friends ‘at church’ before the start of the service yesterday morning. Then, as Tony launched the worship, our screen went blank. We were left looking at the logo, silent and still.

We tried the iPad. Same problem.

Not enough bandwidth. Internet too slow. Again. We rebooted the router, twice, and finally, having missed the worship music, the prayer, and the children’s spot, we managed to re-join in time to hear his sermon and participate in the breakout room at the end.

Not enough bandwidth. Connection poor, slow.

Many times, my connection with God is poor, is slow. I don’t have enough bandwidth because I don’t spend enough time with him, deepening the connection, sharpening my hearing, softening my heart, renewing my mind, re-filling with his Spirit.

I woke up hearing the news on the radio. Can things get much darker? Now Isis is on the move again in Syria, Iraq. Famine in Yemen. Racial injustices. Religious persecutions. Refugee crises. Wars. Pandemic. Lock-down. Brexit. Narcissistic leaders whose integrity is compromised by self-interest and influenced by rich and powerful corporations and individuals.

The joy of the Lord is your strength. I can only receive that joy by upgrading my connection to God, installing fibre-optic cable in place of the old copper wires, broadening the bandwidth so that whatever news this day will bring, I will focus on God, walk in hope and be still, knowing that he is God, that he is good, and that he never leaves us nor forsakes us.

I need to re-boot my connection, maybe by holding a memory verse in my mind through the day, or listening to praise music, or setting a timer and every time it reminds me, spend a minute being still and knowing that he is God.

If ever we needed a good connection to our Father in heaven, it is now.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment